In the late 1800's, John C. Meier developed a technique for bottling fresh grape juice, which led him to establish the John C. Meier Grape Juice Co. in Silverton, Ohio. During the prohibition era the company continued to process juice and make sacramental wine in limited quantities. Connections with growers and distributors were kept intact and the repeal found the company in good position to continue its growth.
The company acquired land on North Bass Island in Lake Erie in 1941 and was purchased by Paramount Distillers in 1976. Today, it operates as Ohio’s oldest and largest winery producing wines and juices from Native American grape varieties. Grapes are no longer grown on the island but are sourced from growers in Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania.
winery, Ohio River AVA, Cincinnati