During the Revolutionary War, the Firelands region of north central Ohio was given to Connecticut citizens whose homes were razed by the British. As they resettled, they brought with them their wine making heritage. The original wine cellar on site was built in 1880 by the Edward Mantey family and has been incorporated into the present Sandusky facility.
In 1979, the winery was purchased by Bob Gottesman, owner of Paramount Distillers, who envisioned a better Ohio wine product. His foresight revitalized the lagging Ohio wine industry. With the addition of Claudio Salvador as wine maker, the wines have steadily improved and are now national and international award winners. Today, it is one of the largest producing wineries in Ohio.