With grapevines on site dating back to the turn of the century, three generations of Klingshirns have operated the winery since 1935. Started by Albert Klingshirn as a home cellar venture, the variety of wines and the size of the facilities expanded under the ownership of Albert’s son Allan, who took over the winery in 1946.
Allan’s youngest son, Lee, now runs the business, a position he acquired after receiving his BS in Enology and Viticulture from OSU in 1986. Lee has also expanded the product line by introducing three varieties of sparkling wine produced using the traditional methode champenoise. The winery generates about 5,000 cases annually.
Ohio Wine Hall of Fame, winery, Lake Erie AVA, Avon Lake