Arnie Esterer and Tim Hubbard (1923-2000) planted their first vines in 1968 and built the winery in 1972 in Conneaut. Known locally as the godfather of Ashtabula County winemaking, Arnie Esterer began his tutelage under the late Dr. Konstantin Frank, a well-known viticulturist and winery owner who promoted the vinifera varieties in the Finger Lakes area in New York and other areas along the East Coast throughout the 1960s and into the early 1980s. Under Frank's direction the winery became the first in Ohio to successfully grow European vinifera grapes.
Photo features Arnie Esterer and the late Linda Frisbie (1940-2015), veteran wine taster and employee at Markko’s Vineyard for over 40 years.
Ohio Wine Hall of Fame, Lake Erie AVA, Conneaut